Saturday, July 2, 2011

Seattle: Day 2

Yesterday morning, I was able to sleep in a little bit (with the time change this ended up not making much of a difference unfortunately). I once again returned to the concierge for breakfast suggestions. And once again, there didn't seem to be a whole lot of options. However, she did tell me if I took a left out of the hotel and walked 10-15 minutes, I'd reach the Pike Place Market. I was very excited to hear this, as I hadn't really gone to any trouble to figure out where the market was, but I did know it was a tourist attraction and was happy I'd have the opportunity to check it out. The only other attraction that I wanted to see more than any of these others was the Experience Music Project, but because of the museum's hours of operation and my own schedule revolving around work, there just wasn't a chance for me to make it on this trip.

The EMP building's unusual architecture:


It was a gorgeous day to be out walking around (and walking toward the market was a much nicer, people-filled walk!). I was also overwhelmed with my weather luck in a city that is certainly famous for it's year-round gloom and rain. After passing maybe 50 Starbucks (just kidding...sort of), I reached the steep hill leading down to the market.


Famous "Public Market" sign:


I strolled through the fish market for a while hoping to catch a glimpse of some fish-throwing, but nothing was happening and the place was swarming with tourists, so I decided to just go ahead and locate the restaurant recommendation and get some food!

Street performers in the market:

The spot the concierge had suggested was called Lowell's, essentially a hole in the wall in a row of vendors, and it turned out to be an even more fantastic recommendation than I could have hoped for. Not only was the meal delicious (I had the Oregon Bay Shrimp Omelet), but after placing my order, I headed up to the third floor seating area, which had an amazing view overlooking Puget Sound. I fortunately was able to snag a table right at the window in the crowded upstairs, and after the server brought up my meal, enjoyed a leisurely breakfast in complete peace looking out over the water. Toward the end of my meal, my phone started ringing off the hook with calls from the radio station and venue, so I decided it was time to head back to the hotel and get packed up for the long day ahead. Lowell's was such a lovely find, and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a tasty omelet and a serene view:


Just a few blocks from the hotel was the Paramount Theatre where my show was being held later that night. The theatre is on the National Register of Historic Places, first opened in 1928 as a vaudeville theatre. It was beautiful inside, and the dressing rooms were definitely set up to accommodate a Broadway production rather than four comedians who don't need a wall-length vanity. It was a very long day at the theatre, but the people I worked with from the venue and radio station were probably my favorite I've dealt with thus far.


We had a 6:00am flight from Seattle to Las Vegas that came very early this morning. I also had my first TSA encounter and am still enraged about it. First, the security line was ridiculous. We easily waited half an hour to get up to the scanners. I very carefully had all my liquids/gels packed into the required 3 oz. containers in a plastic bag. I would dare say I have perfected traveling on even long trips with only a carry-on. The TSA employee, clearly just bored in his dead-end career and looking to exert some sort of fantasy authority, informed me my plastic bag was too large and I needed to take out enough items so that they would fit in the "correct" sized bag. When he showed me the size my items needed to fit in, I was horrified. I was going to have to take out a LOT. I argued with him for a good five minutes, but eventually I started taking out things I knew I'd be able to buy in Las Vegas - toothpaste, lotion, etc. I had my big perfume bottle, face sunscreen and some other items that I just had to get through because of how specific they are to my needs. In this whole process, somehow the things I was taking out of the bag got separated. When I finally realized this asshole of a TSA agent wasn't even going to be remotely lenient (it's not like I was wearing a turban, good God), I decided I would just let the airline win and pay the $25 checked baggage fee. (It should be noted that in all the times I have flown with this exact same set up, this has NEVER happened. The Seattle-Tacoma airport might want to chill out...no one important is coming in or out of your stupid airport). They were so kind to let me know I wouldn't have to wait in the security line again and could just come straight back up to the scanners once my bag had been checked.

In an effort to make this as painless as possible, I left my heavy purse with the comedians who had gotten through security with no problem, and retreated back to the check-in lines to check my bag. As I got closer to the front of the line, I became acutely aware that I did not have my wallet with me. It was in my purse, which I'd left with my traveling partners on the other side of security. So now I was going to have to mooch off of a complete stranger. It was at this moment I decided I'd never go to an airport again without washing my hair or doing my makeup. I spotted my victim, a younger guy probably a few years older than me whose ticket indicated he was on my same flight, and explained to him what had happened. I was pretty much near tears at this point, so I think he just felt really bad for me. He gave me the money, but the look in his face told me he didn't think he'd ever see me or that money again. With my bag checked and security clearance at last (with no lack of dirty looks shot at the TSA employee who gave me such a hassle), I met up with the comedians at the gate. I was completely frazzled, but I did finally locate the good Samaritan and paid him back the $25 plus a coffee I'd picked up for him.

Requirements from the TSA website, which I had followed very carefully:


At this point, I was still shaking from my unfortunate morning and was very happy to be on the plane out of that airport. I was seated next to one of the comedians on the plane by some strange coincidence, so we chatted for a while about his recent Wyoming vacation and then eventually passed out, catching up on at least a few hours of sleep I had missed.

I'll write about the rest of the trip picking up in Las Vegas when I get back to New York tomorrow. Viva Las Vegas!

"Catch the first plane in the morning
I won't be sleeping tonight

I won't be late for that flight

'Cause I'm sick of Seattle."
- Sick of Seattle, The Smithereens (I actually liked Seattle a lot, but after that airport experience I was ready to get out!)

No comments:

Post a Comment