Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Vegas Vacation: Day 1

With a 3-day weekend for President's Day, this seemed like the perfect weekend to go to Las Vegas for the first time as vacation, as opposed to the two previous times when I had to be there for work. Despite having sworn off Vegas forever after my trip last July, when Sean offered to fly me out for a fun-filled weekend with a show and trips to the Hoover Dam and Grand Canyon, I couldn't resist - a trip to Vegas with almost no Vegas sounded perfect!

Sean was generous enough to not only get my flight, but he also got me a first-class ticket on Delta...I was pretty excited considering flying first-class is something I have not yet experienced in my 28 years! The price difference is significant, but after doing it once, especially on a cross-country flight like this one, it's hard to imagine ever going back...I've been spoiled! I ordered a car service to take me out to JFK Airport on Friday afternoon; the last time I tried getting a cab outside my office on a Friday afternoon was a total disaster, so I learned my lesson. We hit almost no traffic, and I was heading into the airport less than an hour after I left my office. Jumping to the front of the security line and being the first person to board the plane were only the beginning of the perks I've been missing out on by flying coach all this time. My seat was huge, and there was so much space between me and the guy sitting next to me...it made me wonder how I've lived without this for so long! As soon as we were seated, I was already being hit up with complimentary drinks, which I gladly accepted. I really wanted to nap, but I think I was so excited about the whole first-class 'thing,' or missing the flight attendant come around with another drink, or just looking so forward to actually getting to Vegas, that I never did manage to doze off. I did get plenty of vodka sodas, though. :)

A couple hours into the flight, a tablecloth was put down on my foldout table, and it was set with salt and pepper shakers and real silverware. My drink was also brought out in a glass this time around. So posh! There were a couple options for dinner, and I went with the vegetarian lasagna. It came out with a salad, several rolls of bread and some sort of chocolate pie. I couldn't believe all this has been going on right under my nose all these years! The food was delicious, the way I remember airplane food used to be. This was already an amazing start to the trip.

When I landed in Vegas, Sean was there to fetch me, and we headed back to the Encore at the Wynn, where through his connections he'd been able to upgrade to a beautiful suite in this more upscale wing of the Wynn. We had a beautiful view of Las Vegas from the room, and everything from the curtains to the "Do Not Disturb" light could be controlled from the bed, so it was a pretty amazing suite all around. After getting settled in to the room, we headed downstairs and walked through the Encore and then on to the Wynn. This is such a beautiful hotel! There is a butterfly theme throughout, and all the decorations are so colorful and fun. We went to a small bar that overlooked a terrace where a light show was happening once an hour, so we ended up timing it just right to grab a drink and see the short show before heading to dinner.

One of the pretty walkways in the Wynn on our way to dinner:

We went with a casual option for our first night, the Society Cafe, which turned out to be quite a nice restaurant, and a step above what I would classify as "casual." We ordered the mac 'n cheese bites (amazing - could have gotten four orders of this and just made a meal out of them!) and a shrimp cocktail with some of the biggest shrimp I've ever seen, and then I had the filet sliders as my entree, which were delicious! So it was somewhat "casual fare," but the restaurant was ornate and could have just as easily gotten away with serving a much fancier style of food. By the time we were finished with dinner, the time zones were throwing me off kilter and I was exhausted, so went off to bed - we had plans to be up early Saturday morning to head to the Hoover Dam!

Miles Traveled Today: 2,526
Total Miles Traveled: 31,526

No comments:

Post a Comment