Friday, September 17, 2010

San Francisco: Day 2

After yesterday, I thought for sure all the bumps in the road (or sky, as it were) were finished - but Delta proved me wrong! Had a lovely continental breakfast at the hotel in Kentucky, shuttled over to the airport with my new stranger friends, and got to the gate only to be told there was too much fog in San Francisco, and we would be leaving Cincinnati an hour late. Someone doesn't want me to make it to California! At this point, I'd consider the trip a success if I actually touched land in San Francisco and nothing else. Anyways, I did finally land, and was quite thankful my gracious host was still able to scoop me up from the airport despite my throwing a total wrench in his day!

We went straight to his apartment in SoMa to drop off my bags. It was pretty gloomy out and misting for much of the afternoon. Why did everyone say I'd love the weather here again? I got a crash course in "micro-climates," though, as by the time we had reached the Ferry Building, it was all sunshine and blue skies! We walked from his apartment to the Powell Street Cable Car Turnaround. Greg said they had a really high-tech way to turn the car around here at the dead-end of the track. I believed him, until some burly guys threw their body weight behind the car to turn it around. High-tech, indeed!


We made our way down to the Ferry Building to grab a late lunch at Hog Island Oyster Company, which was right on the water overlooking San Francisco Bay. I had a Caesar salad, a glass of Sonoma pinot grigio and some of the most delicious oysters I've ever tasted! We sat at the bar, so the waiters were literally shucking the oysters right there in front of us. Greg got the grilled cheese sandwich, which was one of the tastiest-looking grilled cheese sandwiches I've ever seen! It was so relaxing to finally be sitting (not on a plane) with Greg, a glass of wine, and fresh seafood with a beautiful day waiting outside for us.

After lunch, we took a quick stroll through the Ferry Building where they were selling chocolates and wine in cute little shops, and then walked along the Embarcadero to the end of a pier where we had a pretty view of the Bay Bridge (Golden Gate was shrouded in clouds, argggh!) and the San Francisco skyline behind us.


The weather was gorgeous by now, so we had a leisurely walk back to Greg's apartment. I got to see a lot of the shopping area of the city and just the general vibe - which was very laid back - a welcome change from the fast-paced life I lead in New York! We cleaned up and headed to an early dinner at Fondue Cowboy around the corner from Greg's apartment. It was very trendy-looking inside, and I think if we'd been there an hour later, the place would have been packed. At this hour, though, we had the entire place to ourselves, which wasn't so bad either! We had two different fondues, the Outlaw, which was spicy and delicious! The other's name is escaping me, but it was a fantastic dinner - not too heavy, but completely filling. A very cute date spot!

We jumped in a cab - cabs are very difficult to find in San Francisco! - and headed to Davies Symphony Hall, where I'd scored us a couple tickets to the Louis C.K. show. We had great seats and laughed a LOT! We went backstage after the show to say hi to Geof who had gotten us the tickets, and drank a little wine in the dressing room as the comics came in and out between their sets. Greg has an early morning tomorrow (and I am determined to get on a ferry to Alcatraz first thing!) so we called it a night and headed home. It was an exhausting day and I'm going to sleep like a baby!


Miles Traveled Today: 2,365
Total Miles Traveled: 3,019

No comments:

Post a Comment